About Bella & Me

My photo
I am a senior lady just starting to blog. I am passionate about Pomeranians, especially my Bella, Riding my Recumbent Trike and Gardening. Camping and Traveling are new passions for me.

Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Grooming a Pomeranian at Home

The Pomeranian is a long-haired, double-coated, dog belonging to the Spitz family. They need regular grooming to keep them looking and feeling good. Brushing at least once a week is required although it is better if you can do it more often, at least twice a week. Some types of coats are harder to keep looking good. The harsher coat is preferred over the soft, fuzzy coat. It sheds water better and dries more quickly. It also doesn't matt as quickly as the softer one. My Bella's coat is the softer version which means I brush quite often if I want her to look good.

Bella


Brushing your Pomeranian usually starts by placing your dog on a grooming table. You can use any small table. I own a small polyethylene one. Another good choice is a wooden TV table. Just make sure whatever you use is stable and has a non-slip surface. If your table does not have a non-slip surface, place a piece of rubber shelf material over it.  A bath mat will work as well.


Wood TV Tray/Table w/black shelving material

If you do not wish to use a table, you can groom your Pomeranian on the floor. As I am of advanced years, that is I am a senior lady, and no longer very agile, my favourite place to groom my Bella is on my lap. She likes it better as well.



Water bottle, I re-purposed, pin brush, slicker brushes, large comb, flea comb and scissors


To begin the brushing portion of grooming your Pomeranian, I prefer to use an oblong pin brush, a PSI Germany, #25249 (second from left in pic above). I feel it works better than the round ones. I usually start with the under parts area, the lower chest, stomach and private parts. This is a very tender area and Bella does not like it when I brush there. She wiggles and squirms, but lets me do it in the end. I place her on my legs so she is lying with her head towards my knees. My legs give her some support as she can lie in the dip between them. I will sometimes warm the water I use to spray her coat with before starting as she is a bit more accepting of the spray if it is warm.

I part the hair, spray and brush as I go starting at the lower chest and working to the rear end part. I will pay particular attention to her anus area as sometimes there are specks of feces stuck to the hairs. If the hair is particularly long around the anus, I will scissor it away for cleanliness sake. My little girl usually keeps this area clean with my help as she doesn't like even a speck of feces there. She will scrub her butt on the floor after doing her job if there is and this is an indication to me that she needs my help in combing it out so I keep it clean as we go.

Parting the hair and spraying as you brush does make the process longer so if you choose, it is fine to spray a large portion then brush. It is up to you. If the skin is dry, add a small amount of hair conditioner. I use my own unscented (I am allergic to perfumes) from Old Fashioned Foods, but there are many dog related ones available if you prefer.

After completing the stomach area, I then do her back starting at the back of the head to the tail area. Again parting the hair with the brush, spraying and brushing. Once done, I then turn the her on her side with her head towards my knees. I start near the head, by the shoulder, and work backwards to the rump/hip area. When I reach this area, I turn Bella around to more easily access the whole area. I then brush from the base of the tail to the hock all around the leg and hip. Once I get to the hock, I change my brush to a small slicker brush called L'll Pal (third from left in pic above - Coastal Li'l Pals Slicker Purple and Green Brush for Dogs, Extra Small) I purchased this brush on Amazon.ca. I brush the hocks with the slicker and then comb it with a metal comb I also purchased from Amazon.ca. Uxcell Pet Beauty Tool Metal Grooming Rake Comb, Silver Tone. I like this comb because it has two sets of teeth widths. I use the wider part for the initial combing after a complete brush and finish up with the finer side. 


After the sides are done, there is still the head and chest to do. I will do the head, face, ears with a slicker brush first, carefully making sure I don't get near the eyes. Take each ear and use the slicker brush to brush from tip to base. Then use a small, fine-toothed comb, like a flea comb to finish off. 

A Pom's eyes can get quite mucky. I use a makeup pad soaked with contact lens solution to clean the eyes before I finish with the head. Once the eyes are done, I brush the head with the slicker brush, then finish off with the flea comb. Sometimes there will be a lot of loose hairs coming out especially in shedding season, particularly on the tips of the ears. Make sure you brush/comb the tips thoroughly.


On to the chest area, again spraying and brushing in layers from below the chin to the bottom of the chest, down to the legs. I brush first with the pin brush, then slicker and finish off with the larger comb, (4th from left in pic) I usually finish off with the tail last of all. 


The order I have used isn't cast in stone and you should brush each area in the order you find is best for you. In the end, you will have a beautiful, groomed Pom; I so love the look of the finished dog.



When all is brushed, I then do the whole body once again with the large, metal comb. This is something I do for a finished look. It also catches any bits of knots I may have missed and gets right down to the skin. 

Upcoming subjects, bathing your Pom, trimming your Pom with a scissor, Cutting/grinding your Pom's toenails, plus trimming the hair on the feet and brushing teeth, feeding and general care and BSD (black skin disease).

No comments:

Post a Comment